Federal Political Manager
WHO WE ARE AS A TEAM:
Voices for Progress (V4P) galvanizes the advocacy of major political donors, business leaders, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, and other prominent individuals who unite to champion a healthy climate and environment, strengthen our democracy, and ensure economic and social justice for all. Advocacy priorities have included economic inequality, health care access, climate change, immigration reform, voting rights, criminal justice reform, gender equality, campaign finance reform, judicial nominations, environmental justice, budget and tax policy, and more.
The V4P staff are passionate about the change we’re working to make in this country and are committed to living our values in how we support each other and the collaborative way in which we work together. Our personal backgrounds are as diverse as the wide range of policy issues we’re engaged on. We’re an energetic bunch who are constantly innovating within a rapidly expanding organization.
Get to know the V4P staff at: https://voicesforprogress.org/staff-advisors/
WHERE YOU’LL FIT IN THE TEAM:
The Federal Political Manager will be an integral part of the Political Team. This position will recommend political direction, act as the organization’s representative in relevant political coalitions and with candidates, manage efforts to raise funds for candidates, create materials for and lead grasstops candidate events, and manage other political efforts. This position is an exempt position and reports to the Vice President: Political. This position is funded by and performs these responsibilities on behalf of a 501(c)(4) sister organization focused on building relationships with and electing progressive candidates with a focus on under-represented communities.
The position is located in Washington, D.C. Currently, staff may choose to work remotely from within the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia areas (commonly referred to as the DMV). Occasional travel is required to Sacramento and around the Washington, D.C. area to attend coalitions, conferences, meetings, and events as needed. Reasonable alternatives may be available.
V4P is committed to a diverse staff and to an inclusive culture that holds equity as a value and a priority. V4P welcomes applicants who bring a variety of perspectives, experiences, and competencies. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the LGBTQIA+ community. V4P is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at V4P.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Political Direction: Analyze key races and the political landscape to identify which V4P should prioritize. Help determine new programming.
- Political Program Implementation:
- Manage political portions of and lead some briefings, candidate interviews, and other political programming.
- Responsible for overseeing the creation of political materials for interviews, advising sessions, and other programming for grasstops advocates.
- Manage efforts to raise funds for candidates via non-connected PAC.
- Manage the federal candidate questionnaire process.
- Create and shape the message of frequent communications with grasstops advocates regarding taking action on important political priorities.
- External Collaboration: Represent the organization and its political and policy positions in coalitions and staff-level meetings. In doing so, maintain and expand organizational relationships with candidates, allied political organizations, etc.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
We hope that you are excited by the opportunity to work with us. We are proud to offer a comprehensively designed benefits package and other perks to support our team and allow us to focus on our work of championing a healthy climate and environment, strengthening our democracy, and ensuring economic and social justice for all.
- Compensation: The salary for this position is $75,000 or more. Final salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Insurance: We offer medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage for you and your family. Full-time employees who select individual medical coverage costs $1 a month.
- 403(b) Plan: We match 100% of the first 4% of your contributions and 50% of the next 2% for a maximum of 5% of your salary.
- Generous Vacation and Paid Time Off: We've built infrastructure to encourage our team to rest and recharge throughout the year. (12 paid personal leave days, 12 sick days, 14 paid wellness days, 12 holidays, 3 floating holidays, 7 days of paid office closures including a 1-week winter break).
- Paid Leave of Absence Policy: Paid for any FMLA-covered event, including parental or family leave. No waiting period.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Comprehensive access for employee and household members at no cost.
- Pre-Tax FSA Plan: medical, dependent care, and transit elections.
- Cell Phone Stipend: $75 monthly to support cell phone expenses.
Referal bonus of $500 being offered after the referred employee's 90th calendar day of employment.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- At least five years of experience in a related field (e.g. political campaigns or committees, movement political organization, political advising, or other types of relevant experience). An advanced degree may substitute for experience.
- Background in federal politics required.
- Clear communicators with strong presentation skills are highly preferred. Able to explain the dynamics of campaigns and elections clearly, simply, and concisely.
- Proven ability to build relationships with candidates, campaign staff, and national allied political organizations preferred, especially those representing historically marginalized communities.
- Team players who collaborate well with others and can manage multiple projects, including urgent situations.
- Competency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite required. Very strong computer skills, and willingness to learn new software as needed.
- Superb attention to detail and ability to organize significant amounts of information.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced multi-office organization, in which change is not uncommon.